That’s a lot of status updates and meme sharing and vaguebooking. And, let’s be real, that’s a lot of late-night mindless scrolling!! While I’m by no means a Facebook expert, I have managed to learn a few things along the way. Here are 10 gems I’m thinking about today…
1. The world is smaller than we think: Facebook has made keeping in touch as easy as a few clicks of the mouse! Unlike some people who bemoan the FB’s negative effects on our social world, I actually think it’s great for relationships! There are people I haven’t seen for years, people who have moved to different states, but we’re still connected and keeping up with each other’s lives. That’s a beautiful thing, if you ask me!
2. It’s OK to unfriend (and block!) people: Yes, some of these people may be family (been there!), but you are under no obligation to keep people as your “friend” when they act like the complete opposite.
3. I’ll never understand poking: Is it subtle flirting? Just a way to say hello? What is it? Maybe Mark Z. should release a memo about this or something because I’m confused!!
4. Facebook envy is REAL: All those happy photos of people YOLO-ing on a sandy beach? Yeah, they can give me a case of jealousy sometimes too.
5. Don’t engage with the Trump supporters: In the name of full transparency, I haven’t mastered this yet. For some reason, I just can’t help myself…they all enrage me!!
6. If you mansplain anything to me, we’re done: Yes, this has happened! I’ve unfriended cheeky blokes who thought they needed to enlighten me. Turns out, THEY were the clueless ones!!
7. Bullying doesn’t end with adult: Sadly, I’ve been witness to far too much bullying lately, and even sadder? This bullying is done by women to women. It’s catty and vicious. GROW UP!!
8. Ms. Bear will always be my #1 Facebook friend: She’s just the cutest. For years, I tried to get her to join and she refused. Until 2008, and, well, she hasn’t looked back! Now, she spends more time scrolling than I do!
9. Umm, I actually like Twitter more: I know, that may be straight-up blasphemy, but Twitter is totally lit! I’m telling you — it’s a much more happening place!!
10. A Rick Astley meme makes everyone smile: Everyone’s favorite ’80s crooner lives on!! And I, for one, am never gonna give him up!!
See? You’re smiling right now, aren’t you? Told you!! What do you love about Facebook, friends? Do you have a favorite social media platform? Oh, and be sure to follow So About What I Said’s Facebook here! xoxo