Sooo, after what feels like an eternity, I’m excited to share a new Video Hello today, friends! I’ve been out of the game for awhile, but it was really fun talking about my fave lip balms of the moment — and you know that I could talk about them four hours!!
Picture this: It’s a few days before Easter and I’m zipping down the aisles of Target. I’m a woman on a mission. Past the CDs. Past the makeup. Heck, I even zoomed right past the glorious $1 section.
Like I said, I was on a mission here.
I eventually found myself in heaven — or at least, my version of it.
The Easter section. Shelves and shelves piled high with chocolate and PEEPS and jelly beans and malted milk balls; all these were great choices, sure, but they weren’t really what I was after. They weren’t what was calling my name. After a few minutes of scanning, my eyes zeroed in on my target. I mean, we’re talking laser-pointer precision here. I could have shined a spotlight on them with the way I was glaring at them.
The object of my desire? The Easter-themed/springtime Lip Smacker sets.
Oh, trust me, they were a beautiful sight to behold, all new and shiny in the package. So what did typical “me” do? I may or may not have thrown ALL five kinds in my basket — you know, NBD. OK, in my defense, just take a look at these pics…
I mean, with names like Squared Marshmallow Treat, Lemon Tart Surprise, Bunny Mint Delight, Choco-Coco Whip and Nutty Brittle, how can you not scoop them all up? No, really, I dare you to try it and leave Target empty handed. It’s not easy, I tell you.
Not to mention the fact that the packaging is a-dor-able (picture me saying that!), especially the cute chick and bunny key chains. Now all I have to do is make room for them in my lip balm organizer, which, admittedly, is almost overflowing. Ahh, the life of a Lip Balm Addict, huh?
Have you tried these limited-edition balms, friends? If so, what were your favorite flavors? xoxo
Editor’s Note: Good news! I’ve decided to make Beauty Favorites a new monthly feature on So About What I Said. Look for a new post at the beginning of each month! Have something you’d like to see? Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me today!
I’ve developed an acute affliction over the last few months — an affliction which, according to my mom, isn’t very cute at all. I’ve dubbed it OBD or Obsessive Balm Disorder. Sounds scary, doesn’t it? It’s like one of those rare medical conditions House and his team would diagnose, only I’m not sure there’s any course of treatment.
But luckily for me, I do have good treatment for winter lips — see how I pulled off that segue there? Anyway, you know what I’m talking about — those chapped, dry, cracked and overall yucky feeling your lips get, courtesy of Old Man Winter. Well, consider me your Thursday Superhero swooping in to save the day — and save lips everywhere! Here are my top five favorite lip balms for soothing goodness…
1. Maybelline Baby Lips: Really, you can’t go wrong with ANY of these. I discovered them last year, so I was a little late to the game — guess that’s what you get for being a Late-In-Life Fashionista like myself — but I love the fact that they’re TINTED. It’s a balm that does double duty: moisturizes and gives your lips a wash of color, especially this Pink Punch shade. Plus, the packaging? Adorable!
2. Lip Smacker: I’m a child of the ’90s, remember?!?!? You didn’t think I was going to leave this beauty out, did you? These little things are like throwing your own little party — you can choose from soda flavors to dessert goodies to classic fruits. You can even be a Disney princess! What’s better than that? For one thing, the price! At under $3, it’s incredibly easy to
stockpile collect these babies.*
3. Blistex: Now, I admit that I was never really a huge fan of Blistex until I discovered their raspberry lemonade blast flavor. It was only then that I saw the light. Who knew such a mind-altering, life-changing revelation could come in the form of a .15-oz tube? But it did, and it felt like heaven on my lips — a soft, enveloping, magical heaven!
4. NIVEA (A Kiss of Shimmer): I’ve been impressed with NIVEA for awhile. Not only do you get a decent amount of product, but it’s just the perfect consistency — thin enough to go on smooth, but thick enough to actually stay on your lips. Plus, with the hints of glittery shimmer, I can walk roll around feeling like Disco Royalty all day long. #LifeGoals
5. Chapstick Total Hydration (Luscious Lemon): You had to know that I was going to save the very best for last. It’s a classic, really, as nothing says rejuvenation quite like this good old standard. And they’ve really upped the rejuvenation factor with their Total Hydration line. It does exactly what the name implies — hydrates your lips, as if you’ve just given them a shower. The lemon-y flavor adds a kick of spring too, so it’s a win-win!
There you go, friends! Just apply as directed and call me in the morning. You’re welcome! What are your faves? Any go-to balms at the top of your list that you’d recommend? xoxo
*Because my addiction to Lip Smacker is TOO LEGIT TO QUIT, look for a thorough love letter to the brand in the future. I just couldn’t fit my love for it in one single post. I’m sure you understand…
Last week, I made one of my pilgrimages to Target, my own personal Nirvana. I was there on an important mission: I had two gift cards that were burning quite the hole in my purse. I mean, they were practically screaming at me, “Melissa, please let us out!” Well, who was I to deny them their one chance at freedom?
So up and down those bulls-eyed aisles I went, throwing stuff into my basket faster than Spiderman repelling down a skyscraper. You’d be amazed at the freedom that comes when money is no object — must be how the Kardashians feel. Anyway, I approached the beauty section, illuminating like a light from heaven, and that’s when things REALLY went cray-cray, as today’s young people would say. It didn’t take me long to spot them, just hanging out on a middle shelf all nice and pretty like.
COVERGIRL’s Oh Sugar lip balm! And they’re TINTED!
Apparently, they’re new for spring and because I’m overly addicted to lip balm (I’ll be doing a full post on my entire collection this summer), I knew I just had to have them. My mom evidently didn’t agree with my need to have these, as demonstrated by her eye roll when I showed her my purchases. But, as they say, beauty is pain, so I suppose that is my price to pay for looking fashionable.
In the spirit of trying new things on So About What I Said (thanks to your Annual Feedback Survey comments!), I thought I would share my thoughts on COVERGIRL’s new line. Full disclosure first, though: I had WAY too much fun doing this photo shoot. Way too much fun. Hey, maybe I really am a Kardashian! OK, here we go…
Sprinkle: The perfect shade for pretending you’re a Disney princess. Soft and sweet, like a warm spring day.
Punch: This one packs — you guessed it! — a whole lot of punch, but it’s still pretty subtle, which is great for me since I’m all about making sure I walk that very fine line between Crimson Vixen and full-on Lady of the Night. I may be a lady, but I’m not that kind of lady, if you know what I mean!
Jelly: I’ll admit, this one makes me crave a jelly-filled donut, so I find myself having to consciously remind myself not to lick my lips obsessively. Still, I think the color works on me.
Soda: I’d say this one is what the hip YouTube gurus would call a “your-lips-but-better” shade — you know, the kind of color that matches your skin tone and complements your cheek bones in that nice contoured way. That, and it makes me thirsty for root beer, so there’s that bonus too.
Spice: Ahh, this is the one that makes me feel all sorts of mysterious, like I hail from some foreign island or something. No one knows me. I could be anyone I want to be. And I’d slink in the shadows.
Gumdrop: The darkest shade I bought, this one would be perfect for winter, especially when these cold days make you feel all moody and wanting to channel your inner Goth. #YOLO
Overall thoughts: Love the cute packaging of these — you know I’m a sucker for design and typography, and these hit a home run. They’re really moisturizing and actually stay on your lips for more than 10 minutes! Plus, who can resist a classic wash of color? Have you tried them, friends? What did you think? Have a favorite shade?
P.S. I’d love to do more posts like this — maybe even a monthly series? Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Let me know in the comments or on Facebook or Twitter!