Editor’s Note: Good news! I’ve decided to make Beauty Favorites a new monthly feature on So About What I Said. Look for a new post at the beginning of each month! Have something you’d like to see? Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet me today!
I’ve developed an acute affliction over the last few months — an affliction which, according to my mom, isn’t very cute at all. I’ve dubbed it OBD or Obsessive Balm Disorder. Sounds scary, doesn’t it? It’s like one of those rare medical conditions House and his team would diagnose, only I’m not sure there’s any course of treatment.
But luckily for me, I do have good treatment for winter lips — see how I pulled off that segue there? Anyway, you know what I’m talking about — those chapped, dry, cracked and overall yucky feeling your lips get, courtesy of Old Man Winter. Well, consider me your Thursday Superhero swooping in to save the day — and save lips everywhere! Here are my top five favorite lip balms for soothing goodness…
1. Maybelline Baby Lips: Really, you can’t go wrong with ANY of these. I discovered them last year, so I was a little late to the game — guess that’s what you get for being a Late-In-Life Fashionista like myself — but I love the fact that they’re TINTED. It’s a balm that does double duty: moisturizes and gives your lips a wash of color, especially this Pink Punch shade. Plus, the packaging? Adorable!
2. Lip Smacker: I’m a child of the ’90s, remember?!?!? You didn’t think I was going to leave this beauty out, did you? These little things are like throwing your own little party — you can choose from soda flavors to dessert goodies to classic fruits. You can even be a Disney princess! What’s better than that? For one thing, the price! At under $3, it’s incredibly easy to
stockpile collect these babies.*
3. Blistex: Now, I admit that I was never really a huge fan of Blistex until I discovered their raspberry lemonade blast flavor. It was only then that I saw the light. Who knew such a mind-altering, life-changing revelation could come in the form of a .15-oz tube? But it did, and it felt like heaven on my lips — a soft, enveloping, magical heaven!
4. NIVEA (A Kiss of Shimmer): I’ve been impressed with NIVEA for awhile. Not only do you get a decent amount of product, but it’s just the perfect consistency — thin enough to go on smooth, but thick enough to actually stay on your lips. Plus, with the hints of glittery shimmer, I can walk roll around feeling like Disco Royalty all day long. #LifeGoals
5. Chapstick Total Hydration (Luscious Lemon): You had to know that I was going to save the very best for last. It’s a classic, really, as nothing says rejuvenation quite like this good old standard. And they’ve really upped the rejuvenation factor with their Total Hydration line. It does exactly what the name implies — hydrates your lips, as if you’ve just given them a shower. The lemon-y flavor adds a kick of spring too, so it’s a win-win!
There you go, friends! Just apply as directed and call me in the morning. You’re welcome! What are your faves? Any go-to balms at the top of your list that you’d recommend? xoxo
*Because my addiction to Lip Smacker is TOO LEGIT TO QUIT, look for a thorough love letter to the brand in the future. I just couldn’t fit my love for it in one single post. I’m sure you understand…