To paraphrase Taylor Swift, I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling 32…
Yes, friends, I celebrated my grand birthday yesterday, which, as you know, is one of my favorite days of the entire year! Just like in years past, I celebrated in style (literally, since I wore one of my classic polo shirts…), and my trusty new smartphone was there to capture all the magic and adventure…
The weekend kicked off with the delivery of our new washer. The verdict: My mom’s in love. A deep and passionate in love. She gets giddy every time she puts in a new load.
I started off my actual birthday with a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, my new favorite cereal…
It was such a beautiful summer day, so we picked up Panera and headed to a local park…
We enjoyed a picnic, surrounded by tall trees and greener-than-green grass. And speaking of my birthday food, what did I choose for my dessert??
A Dairy Queen Blizzard…Reese’s flavor, to be exact. It was the perfect blend of creamy vanilla ice cream and rich chocolate. And yes, I’m now craving another one after just typing that last sentence!
And we finished off the day with an evening game of Bananagrams, which I won… 😉
Thank you for all the wonderful Facebook messages, tweets and general loveliness! All in all, I can’t say that 32 feels all that different from 31…yet. I’m excited about what the next year will bring, and I’m so happy you’ll be joining me on this wild adventure, friends!! xoxo
From gifts to desserts! I’ve got one big, bad case of a sweet tooth, which sometimes makes it nearly impossible to choose just one dessert for my birthday. Birthday cake is always a great staple, but this year, I’m opting for something a bit different.
That’s where you come in, friends! I’ve (painstakingly!) narrowed it down to four possibilities…
*An ice cream cake
*Wendy’s vanilla Frosty
*Dairy Queen Blizzard
*My mom’s gooey homemade chocolate chip cookies — a few made without the chocolate chips per my request
Which birthday dessert would you choose, friends? Any of the four jump out at you? I’d love your input! xoxo
So that’s me, above, on my birthday a few years ago. As I’m sure you know by now, I’ve always had a deep love for my special day. It’s a grand event, a day to do all my favorite things. Last year, we enjoyed lunch at Applebee’s and then browsed the aisles of Target.
My mom and sister have been pestering me for the last week or so with the same question: “What do you want for your birthday?” And, as hard as it is to believe, I’ve been rendered speechless. Every single time. The truth was, I had no idea what I wanted for my birthday, let alone what I wanted to do. So many possibilities. So many fun options.
But! I’ve thought about it (since thinking is one of the things I do best…), and thought it would be fun to share my birthday wish list. Here are my six picks (Mom and Janelle, are you reading this?)…
1. A gift card to my favorite store: I hopped on the gift card train a loooong time ago. You can’t go wrong with this gift. I haven’t fallen down the eBay hole for awhile, so I figure I’m due for a good shopping binge.
2. A magazine subscription: Yes, I know this gift would fly in the face of The Great Clean of 2013, but there’s nothing like curling up with a good magazine and savoring the last relaxing days of summer. My pick? Glamour, of course!
3. My favorite TV show on DVD: Last summer, it was 7th Heaven, and this summer, we’ve been watching old episode of the ’80s classic Mr. Belvedere (did you used to watch this show?). I love taking a little stroll down memory lane!
4. A collection of my favorite candy: I take my candy choices very seriously. I’ve been really into sour Skittles and Sour Patch Kids this summer. It’s even become my go-to movie snack.
5. Day planner: I’m all for practical gifts, and for the last couple years, it’s become tradition that my mom give me a day planner for the coming year as a birthday gift. She always picks a bright color, and throughout the year, I think of her every time I use it. Smart idea, Mom! I love this chevron one!
6. Puzzle book: I used to do these all the time — a great way to keep your mind sharp. And, surprisingly calming!
Anyone have a birthday in August? Happy birthday to all the August babies! What’s on your wish list? xoxo
Perhaps no truer words have ever been spoken. Julia Child sure knew where it’s at when it comes to dessert, didn’t she? And nothing says dessert, especially birthday dessert, quite like a yummy, sugary, decadent, frosting-covered cake. Here are six cakes that, well, take the cake (pun intended)…
Chocolate cookie dough cake (yes, that’s cookie dough in the center)
Purple ombre sprinkles cake
Don’t these look delicious? I can’t choose a favorite…what about you, friends? What kind of cake did you have on your last birthday? And where do you stand on The Great Frosting Debate? Lots of frosting? Or just a dollop? xoxo
P.S. I should have Buddy make me a cake! 🙂
[Julia Child quote via Melanie’s Pinterest]