We all have our “happy place” somewhere in the world, don’t we? That one spot where everything makes sense and you just feel like everything is right with the world. Maybe it’s your childhood tree house or your grandparents’ kitchen or your elementary school playground. Wherever your special spot is, you feel safe, protected and at ease.
For me, that place has always been the hospital.
Yes, you read that one correctly. I’ll let it just sink in for a moment here.
Have you recovered? OK, good! Hear me out for a minute.
Well, I found myself right at home on Tuesday morning as I sat in the hospital waiting room. I was there to get my blood drawn, but you wouldn’t have known it by the look on my face. Why? Because I was, umm, just a wee bit giddy. Seriously. I kid you not. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, like someone who’d just won the lottery.
Yes, I was that excited.
Now, before you bring it to my attention, I know this is slightly abnormal. It’s just that I have so many happy memories from days spent in the hospital growing up and being with my family. I know, that sounds even more abnormal, doesn’t it?
Anyway, as I sat there in that waiting room, waiting for them to call my name like I was the next contestant on The Price Is Right, I got to thinking about my relationship to the hallowed halls of the hospital. And sure enough, the thoughts began coming in rapid-fire succession. Just like that…
1. Oh, this place is so cozy. I seriously could just sit here all day.
2. Ooh, look at that big screen TV.
3. Be still my heart! It’s a doctor in a white lab coat! Quick, I should think of a pick-up line or at least feign sudden illness!
4. Today definitely calls for a little look-see in the gift shop.
5. I’m so jealous of everyone who gets to work here every day.
6. I even get a hospital bracelet! I feel like I’m at some sort of exclusive club. Score!
7. These smells bring back so many fond and joyous memories.
8. I sure wish I could book a room and get a bag of I.V. fluids.
9. I wonder what’s down that hallway.
10. The cafeteria is such a wonderfully calming place. Time to sit down and sip an orange soda!
There you go, friends! A little peek inside my mind. I’m sure there were many more random thoughts, but, you know, I didn’t want this post to stretch on forever. Don’t think I couldn’t, though… xoxo