Sadly, we’ve all dealt with bullies in one form or another. When we’re young, it’s usually the kid on the playground or the mean girl in algebra class. As adults, these mean-spirited people can take the form of co-workers and the random Internet commenter — I see you, Anonymous!
It’s no fun to be on the receiving end of such hate. We all know this. But what we sometimes forget? What’s most important is how we react in these situations. Sure, our first instinct might be to “fight fire with fire,” as it were, but it won’t make us feel better or solve the problem; all we’ll be doing is sinking down to the bully’s low, low level. And that won’t get anyone anywhere.
So, on World Day of Bullying Prevention, let’s all do something different. Let’s change the conversation and spread some much-needed positivity. To get us started, here are 10 ways you can make someone smile…
1. Give someone a compliment: You’d be surprised at what a seemingly little vote of confidence can do.
2. Take your best friend to the movies: Ahhh, there’s nothing like enjoying a movie with a fresh box of Junior Mints.
3. Treat your mom to lunch: It’s amazing just how happy my mom gets from a simple lunch from Subway.
4. Volunteer at a homeless shelter: Every month, my family contributes a dish for dinner at our local homeless shelter.
5. Cookies, cookies, cookies: I’ve said before, but cookies make everyone happy.
6. Send someone a card: No one sends snail mail anymore, so why not surprise a loved with with a cute card?
7. Visit a children’s hospital: Trust me, days in the hospital can seem endless sometimes. Breaking up the monotony would surely brighten a child’s day.
8. Give someone a hand: See someone struggling with a huge stack of library books? See someone drop something? They’ll more than appreciate your kind gesture.
9. Spend some time with the elderly: When I was in middle school, I belonged to Grandparents Club. Every week, we’d visit residents in a senior living community. We all loved getting together and you could tell how happy it made everyone.
10. Tell your family how much you love them: Saying those three words never goes out of style and it’s such a nice way to make their day. It’s SO important to let the people in your life know just what they mean to you.
What do you think of this list, friends? What have you done lately that has made someone smile? What has someone done for you? Anything you’d add to the list? Get out there and spread the positivity!! xoxo
[Photos via We Heart It]