TO: Men all over the planet
RE: What’s a real man…?
DATE: October 20th, 2014
Alright, boys, I think a little lesson is in order today. Not because I don’t have all the faith in the world in you — because you know I do — but because I sometimes worry that you may have picked up some bad habits or advice along this highway we call life. And, really, who wants to be barreling down the highway, only to realize that it’s a dead-end road? Not fun, I know. But don’t worry. I’m here to save you from that sorry fate.
Society loves to set all sorts of standards for what does and doesn’t define a “real man.” A little of this, a lot of that, not too much of that, absolutely ZERO of this. You almost start to think that there’s some sort of magical formula somewhere. Well, there is — sort of. It’s less of a formula and more of a set of recommended traits. Don’t believe me? Here are my Top 5 Traits of a Real Man…
1. A real man…keeps in touch with his family: He doesn’t groan at the thought of Thanksgiving dinner around the kitchen table or helping his little cousin with homework. He knows those are memories in the making and will appreciate them wholeheartedly.
2. A real man…looks past your scars: He sees the real you, flaws and all. The real you doesn’t scare him or make him recoil in terror or even run away. He loves your scares because he has scars of his own. He also sees the beauty in your scars and isn’t afraid to tell you so.
3. A real man…understands the importance of communication: He listens when you talk and doesn’t put walls up. In fact, he’ll work his hardest to tear down your walls because he knows the key to a solid relationship is being on the same page.
4. A real man…loves to laugh: He can be serious when he needs to be, of course, but he knows the power of laughter and isn’t afraid to let out a hearty chuckle when the mood strikes. He loves to make those around him laugh, and he’ll stop at nothing to make you smile.
5. A real man…knows a ‘real man’ can be a sexist term: He knows not to box people too deep into stereotypical roles and walks through life with an open mind. Really, when all is said and done, he’s just trying to be the best human being he can possibly be. Just like everyone else.
Got that, boys? What do you think? Anything else you’d add to the list? Any traits you’re just not down with? Have you encountered a lot of sexism when it comes to defining what a real man is and is not? xoxo
[Photos via We Heart It]